[Amps] Reducing heat in tetrode amps with EBS

Gary Schafer garyschafer at largeriver.net
Thu Oct 30 14:14:26 EDT 2014

At first glance switching the bias at 1/2 watt input seems like a low value
but if you have a 13 db gain amp that puts the output power at 10 watts
during bias switching. That is only 20 db down from 1000 watts output. Your
amp is operating in a very non linear region while delivering power out that
is down only 20 db and that does not even consider transients generated
during switching.

This would generate IM products during that time. Granted the IM products
would only exist for a short time but they will still cause interference.

73
Gary K4FMX