[Amps] AL1200 on AM - max carrier?

Carl km1h at jeremy.qozzy.com
Fri Oct 31 08:19:04 EDT 2014

> On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 19:00:14 +0000 (UTC), Glen wrote:
>
>>The problem is that "desired communications" is not defined!
>
> REPLY:
>
> That is intentional.  Government entities like to have a law or rule
> on the books that they can use only when they need or want to nail
> somebody.  99.99% of the time it is intentionally never enforced but
> when the time comes, it's there to be used at their discretion.
>
> Other examples are the laws against vagrancy and disturbing the peace.
> All governments do it.
>
> 73, Bill W6WRT
>
> ##  I will define it for you.  Desired communications = 50 db over S-9.
> lol.
> If we all used just enough power to be over the noise level, we would all
> be
> running  way less than 100w  most of the time.   The FCC has similar rules
> re ssb
> TX bandwidth..it has this quality wording in the clause.   Any tx bw can
> be used on ssb,
> except here in canda..where we are limited to a measly 6 khz.
>
> BTW, we are allowed 750w cxr on AM modes, with no limit on pep, so 5-6 x
> cxr is just fine,
> IE:  100-150% positive modulation..using neg clipping..   And this is
> measured at the ant feedpoint.
> So nothing changed here on AM  from  40 years ago.   You folks got screwed
> on the AM power
> rules with the 1.5 kw pep limit.
>
> Its all a moot point anyway.  Im sure anyone with a thunderbolt etc, is
> still running it at 650-750w of cxr.
>
> later.......... Jim   VE7RF

Certainly not with a T-Bolt Jim as it would be way past the melt down point
as an AM linear.  OTOH the Johnson Desk KW, Collins KW-1, any 1000W
converted BC rig etc will easily run a 700-1000W carrier since that is what
they were designed for and the BC gear started using negative peak clipping
many decades ago.

Carl
KM1H