[Amps] AL1200 on AM - max carrier?

Robert Logan via Amps amps at contesting.com
Fri Oct 31 08:34:58 EDT 2014

So am I.

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 30, 2014, at 11:46 PM, "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer at largeriver.net> wrote:

The legal limit on AM is 1500 watts PEP, just as it is for all other modes.
There is no 375 watt carrier "limit" set by the FCC.
But it does work out to 375 watts of carrier when you modulate to 100% on
positive peaks.

You could run more carrier and modulate at a level less than 100% and still
maintain PEP below or at 1500 watts and be legal. Or you could run less
carrier and modulate over 100% on positive peaks and still maintain PEP at
or below 1500 watts.

A 100% modulated carrier is when the audio (side bands) voltage equals the
carrier voltage. This doubles the composite signal voltage. Doubling the
voltage gives you 4 times the power (PEP). Ohms law gives this to you E^2 /
R = Power.

So if your amp is tuned up for 1500 watts PEP you would drop your carrier
power to 1/4 that value or 375 watts in this case. When you fully modulate
to 100% your peaks will hit 1500 watts.
In this case you do not want to modulate over 100% even if you were to have
your negative peaks limited to less than 100% as you would overdrive the
amplifier and cause distortion because of flat topping, just like you would
if you were on SSB and overdrove the amp.

With a plate modulated transmitter you can run over 100% positive peak
modulation (it is common to run 120% positive modulation) with out
distortion as long as the negative peaks do not exceed 100%. This increases
the PEP along with the average audio power in the signal. This can be done
without changing the maximum plate load as you would have to do with a
linear amplifier.

With a linear amp if you were to tune up to the 1500 watt level and then
drop the carrier down to something less than 1/4 power you could then
modulate over 100% as long as your peaks did not exceed where the amp is
tuned at (1500 watts in this case).

If using your SSB radio in the AM mode and you exceed 100% negative
modulation it will not cause the same type of distortion (splatter) that a
plate modulated rig would. Your signal will be distorted when this happens
but no where as bad as cutting off the carrier in a plate modulated
transmitter.
With the SSB transmitter there is a phase reversal when you exceed 100%
negative rather than a carrier cutoff that you get with a plate modulated
rig which causes sever distortion and splatter
when you exceed 100% negative modulation.

All of the above operation is to have a clean signal and not just to stay
within the 1500 watt PEP limit. You always want your peaks to be below where
the amp is tuned no matter how much power you are running.

Also remember DO NOT retune the amplifier once you drop the carrier level
down for AM. It must remain tuned at the peak level that you will be
hitting.

Efficiency of the carrier in the AM mode will be about 1/2 of what full
carrier (tune up) efficiency is. If your amp is 60% efficient at full power
it should be around 30% at 1/4 power of the carrier.
But this is really no different than when you operate SSB. At low speech
levels on SSB the amplifier efficiency is much lower than at full peak
power. With full modulation on AM the amplifier efficiency is 60% too, the
same as it is on SSB.

You should always tune your amp for maximum output power for whatever drive
power you are using. If the power is going over what you want (1500 watts)
then reduce the drive power.
You never want to limit your tune up by not fully loading the amplifier!
This holds for AM or SSB.
Actually slightly "over tuning" or over loading a little heavier than
maximum output so that the output drops slightly from maximum is ideal as
the amp will not flat top as easily if the speech level is driven a little
harder.

When looking at your signal with a scope your carrier should be 1/2 the
voltage that you see at full power of the amp. When you modulate the
modulation peaks will hit the level that you tuned up at. Remember power is
E^2 / R. so when the voltage doubles that is an increase of 4 times the
power. Like wise when you reduce the carrier to 1/2 the voltage on the scope
that is 1/4 the power.
Remember that in the above with 100% AM modulation the voltage doubles which
is what you see.

Sorry this turned out so long.

73
Gary  K4FMX