[Amps] more - oil bath GS-35b

MU 4CX250B 4cx250b at miamioh.edu
Wed Apr 1 13:22:14 EDT 2015

I haven't thought about this deeply, but I'm thinking the rate of heat
transfer to the oil bath depends only on the temperature difference
between the oil (adjacent to the tube anode) and the anode
temperature, as well as the thermal impedance of the tube-oil
interface. Speeding up the oil flow ensures that cool oil is always
present at the interface, thus maximizing the temperature difference
and optimizing heat transfer.

The same reasoning applies to the oil-radiator system, but in reverse.
Here one wants hot oil and a cool radiator, since that maximizes the
heat transfer from the oil to the external environment.

There are a few other considerations influencing cooling (such as the
thermal conductivity of the oil, as well as its specific heat
coefficient), but those are generally not under the control of the
builder. Ideally one wants oil with the thermal conductivity of
diamond, and a swimming pool-sized oil reservoir, but good luck with
that!
73,
Jim w8zr

Sent from my iPad