[Amps] Cathode Cooling - oil bath GS-35b

Steve Wright stevewrightnz at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 15:46:09 EDT 2015

Many good comments from all regarding cooling, and I think we've nailed
it down pretty damn good!  I will publish what I build, as it its pretty
much a community effort.

I am concerned about the cathode area.

Just how much cooling does the cathode require? While I am tempted to
throw a muffin fan at the problem, why not oil-bath the entire tube?
The socket design will be complicated, mechanically.  The output circuit
will be connected to the input circuit via the coolant.  I will need
fans in this area regardless - cooling the control board etc.

Steve

On 02/04/15 04:20, amps-request at contesting.com wrote:
> You do not need to slow the flow down in order to pick up heat. The faster
> the flow the more heat will be transferred.

> [...] the radiator [...] surface area to cool will be much larger than
> it is with air cooling the tube so the air velocity can be lower.

> ### Us hot rodders  run into this exact same issue [....]
wow, great document, thank you.  Suffice to say, I wont be using tight
bends, small tubing, and puny fittings.

> Make sure you don't create a situation akin to a Van de Graaff
> generator where oil goes through 3kV at the anode, then through
> insulated pipes to the cooler.
Steel box.  Conductive pipework.