[Amps] Arctic Silver

Kevin Stover kevin.stover at mediacombb.net
Sat Apr 11 10:21:10 EDT 2015

Correct on all points.

If after securing the transistor to the heat sink or heat sink to a processor you see heatsink compoung oozing out the sides you've used waaay to much.

The layer of heatsink compound needs to be an even layer almost thin enough to see through, with NO air bubbles.

I reseat my heatsinks every year. I'm still using the tube of Atric Silver I bought 10 years ago.

On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 23:43:29 -0400
"Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri at rogerhalstead.com> wrote:

> Just a couple of thoughts:
>
> Arctic Silver is a compound that cures with a few hours of use. After a
> few heat cycles, the heat sink should be "stuck" to the transistor.  If
> you break it loose checking, the old compound needs to be cleaned off
> and a new batch applied.  Do not use excess (more than needed).
>
> Silicone heat compound (grease) is rarely used now days as the new
> compounds of which I believe Arctic Silver is the best, are far superior
> to the old compounds and greases.
>
> 73
>
> Roger (K8RI)
>
> ---