[Amps] Test versus working voltage for oil filled capacitor

Alan Ibbetson alan at g3xaq.net
Tue Apr 14 16:14:15 EDT 2015

I have a pair of jumbo oil filled capacitors. They are each 6 x 6 x 12
inches and weigh about 10 pounds. I wish to use them at 3KV off load and
with a 2A ripple current under full load.

The only markings I can read are 42uF and "test voltage 7500 volts" (in
French).  What is the consensus on the likely safe working voltage? Is
it likely to be well defined for this type of capacitor, in the sense
that all have a standard de-rating factor applied?

73, Alan G3XAQ