[Amps] Test versus working voltage for oil filled capacitor

Alan Ibbetson alan at g3xaq.net
Thu Apr 16 14:28:03 EDT 2015

My original post had a misleading typo: my capacitors weigh 10Kg not
10lb each. Sorry. They sound very similar to the CDE ones from Henry
that Jim describes.

I have tested each unit for temperature rise when carrying 3A ripple
current at 50Hz, using a carefully fused variac on UK mains. I clamped a
temperature probe to the case for hands-free measurement. The bottom
line is I can't see any temperature rise in one hour - confirmed by hand
after removing the mains connection. I don't doubt these things are not
purpose made for HT PSU applications but as far as ripple current goes
they seem fine.

I do not yet have the means to charge the caps to 3KV in finite time for
hi-potting so I will need to scratch build a PSU using a junk box
transformer I have.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

73, Alan G3XAQ