[Amps] AL-1500 power relays

Carl km1h at jeremy.qozzy.com
Sun Feb 1 19:48:02 EST 2015

That is a common fault on the senior series amps and the first thing to
check is if the circuit is wired as per the schematic.

Many are not and this goes back decades.

I never cared for Ameritrons step start anyway and a high power version of
the Harbach circuit without those stubid cement resistors is a far better
idea IMO.

In my HB 1500W 144 and 222 mHz amps I went pure brute force with a 240V 30A
power contactor with a 24VDC coil and a 100W resistor since I had the room.
The contactor was a NIB hamfest special for about $2 if I remember and the
resistor was likely less (-;
The 2M amp is pushing 30 years without even a hiccup and the one for 222 is
only about 5 years old.

Carl