[Amps] {Collins} Understanding Screen Current in a Tetrode

Ian White gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Tue Feb 3 03:23:08 EST 2015

Sorry to be arriving late to this discussion.

Gary's explanation is very nearly there... but only for readers who
already understand the need to re-peak the screen current with each
small change in loading. That point needs more emphasis, maybe something
like this {new wording in curly brackets}:

You adjust the loading control (less capacitance) to load the amplifier
heavier. {Every time you adjust the loading control, re-adjust the
tuning control for maximum screen current. The maximum in the screen
current} will decrease as you load the amplifier heavier.

Keep increasing loading (decreasing load capacitance) for maximum power
out,
{re-peaking the screen current at each step}.
Keep doing this until desired power output is reached {while making sure
that the tube manufacturer's maximum screen current rating} is not
exceeded. Keep increasing grid drive while tuning without
exceeding {the tube's maximum ratings for} grid current or screen
current.

73 from Ian GM3SEK