[Amps] Variac Question

Carl km1h at jeremy.qozzy.com
Tue Feb 3 11:00:00 EST 2015

With such a marginal variac the DC dynamic regulation is going to be pretty
poor.
When all else fails consider a choke input at least until you can get a
proper transformer, you will wind
up with about 3000-3100VDC with stiff regulation when followed by a decent
output cap and a bit of mandatory bleeder current.
 Or a big honkin' 30A 240V Variac which is what I use after a $45 hamfest
find, it was actually a pair for $90!
That feeds a custom transformer with 4 output taps and a WW2 BC-375 switch
to select them. I can go from 0-4200V DC @ 2A CCS
and feed my 144 and 222 mHz amps plus some ancient AM amps as well as run
all sorts of IMD tests on others.

Carl
KM1H