[Amps] Astron Power Supply replies

KA4INM ka4inm at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 08:18:00 EST 2015

   On 02/11/2015 12:07 AM, Gary Smith wrote:

> I ordered a set of 10 Motorola MC1723CP which cross reference to the
> stock LM723CN the Astron uses, on Ebay, for all of $5.25 shipped from
> this seller:
> http://tinyurl.com/ozwdjhr
> This was indeed the resolution to my PS issue and it's running
> perfectly now. No telling why the regulator went south but thanks for
> the replies!

   I have an answer to the unasked question.

   The 723 breed of device have been responsible for the most unusual
malfunctions in my life.  The event that brought "the problem" to my
attention was an 8 inch floppy disk drive that turned up incompetent one
morning 35 ish years ago.  Whenever the 24 Volt "head loading" solenoid
was activated the 24 Volt supply dropped from 24 Volts to 5.0 Volts and
there was no logical reason for the two separate supplies to be
intertwined.  This stopped the "disk drive" motor.  Only by pressing the
digital Voltmeter (the Simpson 260 was king in those days) into service
told me that the new 5.0 Volts and the regular 5 Volts power supply were
actually different Voltages.  Replacing the 723 IC immediately cured
this bizarre action.

   Any strange actions from anything using the 723 or it's ilk (NE-550?)
should immediately place this IC under observation as they can go crazy
in any of a hundred different ways with little notice.
--
   Ron  KA4INM - Youvan's corollary:
                 Every action results in unwanted side effects.