[Amps] Alpha Input SWR

Gary Smith Gary at ka1j.com
Sat Jan 10 15:45:25 EST 2015

Hardy,

I'm also driving an old Alpha but don't
know how similar our amplifier input
circuitry is. I too have a K3 with
internal tuner. I have no aftermarket
tuner in line and at the antenna end, have
5 vertical antennas all switched via a
remote Ameritron RCS-8V.

If I run barefoot, the SWR to the K3 is
different than if I go through the amp. I
must first use auto-tune on each band with
each antenna I switch to. The memory in
the K3 retains all SWR settings and I
never have to re-adjust until I once again
use (or turn off) the amp. This change
means I have to use auto-tune again but
after doing this, I'm fine again. Your K3
should be the same. If I do not use the
auto-tune after making a change, I will
get fold-back issues, with terrible output
and it just isn't graceful.

73,
Gary
KA1J