[Amps] The genius of ham radio

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Jan 12 01:06:00 EST 2015

On Sun,1/11/2015 7:38 PM, Charles Henry wrote:
> The genius of ham radio is that hams are brave and practical enough to look THEORY in the face and then go on with WHAT WORKS.   Also, to listen to Mr. Smith, nod politely, and go on with WHAT WORKS.
> As a lofty appliance operator, I live ham radio by WHAT WORKS, not Mr. Smith or others.
> That is my fun, and thank goodness for the great numbers of inventive, theory-testing/discarding real hams who MAKE IT WORK.

I'm sure we're all glad that you are happy with ham radio as you play
with it. But those who think there is a difference between theory and
practice don't know enough about one or the other (or both). Tom
Schiller, N6BT, famously published his "light bulb" experiment, working
all continents in a short time using a light bulb as his antenna. His
point was that "everything 'works,' but some things work a lot better
than others, and the results ARE predicted by fundamental scientific
principles -- what you dismiss as "only theory."

Those who pooh-pooh those fundamental principles which they don't bother
to learn become easy suckers for every circus-barker's dumb idea that
comes down the pike to suck money out of their credit cards. And pursue
equally dumb solutions to whatever problems they encounter along the
way, like hum, buzz, and RFI.

73, Jim K9YC