[Amps] The genius of ham radio

Paul paul at g4dcv.co.uk
Mon Jan 12 05:07:33 EST 2015

Hi Charly

Really? Is that how you'd like commercial airline designers to work?

I can't let that reference to Richard Feynman go past without comment.
He really was a genius. His Feynman digrams made Dirac's work on Quantum
Physics accessible to many other scientists and he got the Nobel Prize
as a result. Feynman was invited onto the Rogers Commission and although
he was a theoretical physicist, he demonstrated what the problem was in
a very practical way when he put the O ring material into iced water. He
cut through all the smoke and mirrors to get to the heart of the problem.

BTW and as an aside. While there isn't any evidence I know of that
Feynman was a radio amateur, he was very interested and almost one of
us. He described how he loved messing around with old radios as a kid.
And he pirated. In his book, Surely You are Joking Mr Feynman, he says
of the time he was working in Brazil, "I found an amateur radio operator
in Brazil, and about once a week I'd go over to his house. He'd make
contact with the ham radio operator in Passadena. and then, because
there was something slightly illegal about it, he'd give me some call
letter and would say, "Now I'll turn you over to WKW, who's sitting next
to me and would like to talk to you. The first guy went on vacation, but
he gave me another amateur radio operator to go to. This second guy was
blind and operated his station. They were both very nice, and the
contact I had with Caltech by ham radio was very effective and useful to
me."

73 Paul G4DCV