[Amps] The genius of ham radio

Kimberly Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 12 10:44:39 EST 2015

I agree with Jim and Roger and take slight issue with Alek. We never do stuff that theory says "won't work." We regularly do stuff that theory says "Won't work well" or at least "won't work optimally." But if we do stuff that theory says "won't work," it doesn't.

The point of this post isn't clear to me. Is it to sing praise to ignorance? If it is, I take strong issue with the premise. If it is to sing praise to dogged detrmination and prgamatism in using theory to make the best of what we have available, then I happily join the choir. I suspect the former.

Yes, it's great to poke fun at the original ideas underlying our understanding of how the world works. The idea of of phlogiston is hilarious. But as those who enjoy doing so get a good laugh, they also need to understand that science is fundamentally self-correcting. Ideas and explanations that do a poor job are cast aside, based on evidence, for those that do a better job. These will be cast aside as our knowledge expands.

The best hams, the most brilliant hams among us, are not ignorant appliance operators but instead those that know the theory behind How Stuff Works well enough to make the stuff they have do the job..

Kim N5OP