[Amps] The genius of ham radio

Fuqua, Bill L wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Mon Jan 12 20:35:26 EST 2015

  It is interesting that the sales of the ARRL Handbook are as good as they are.
It is referred to as an engineering reference. However, I have never purchased a new edition of
an engineering reference book each year. In fact new editions are usually published every 5 or even
more years. At some point the hams are going to catch on that 99% of the book is identical to the last
edition.
  I appreciate the ARRL and I use their License Manuals in my classes but they just have gone the
wrong direction.
  One way to change things is to get involved. However, the editors do not accept criticism very well.
When their first edition of Understanding Radio came out I thought it may be a good text for a class I
was teaching. However, I found a number of errors and managed to contact the author. I emailed
the errors to him and in some cases he had to try the circuits out to confirm that there were problems
which he admitted were issues. At the next Hamvention, I noticed that they had some loose pages that
came with the book that had the corrections. Oddly enough, the next printing, which was corrected was not
a second edition  but was called the first edition.
  I told him that I would be happy to review his material next time. He seemed very offended and that
was that.

  73
Bill wa4lav