[Amps] Input SWR revisited

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Wed Jan 14 19:24:25 EST 2015

>  These days such calculations are most
easily  done on a computer but an understanding of the
Smith chart  and the equations it is based on will help
in understanding how the match is taking place.  There
are many good and simple guides to the Smith chart on
the internet as well as in the ARRL handbook.

Good advice.  Everyone has their preferred way of learning.   Me, I need to
see interactive relationships.  Reading about the Smith Chart never gave me
a clear understanding of what was going on.  It wasn't until the release of
the TLD, TLW, and SimSmith programs that things finally came together.  In
addition to being useful, practical tools, they also serve as great learning
tools.

In TLD, you can quickly make changes to a hypothetical complex load, line
type, and line length while simultaneously watching SWR, loss, dynamic bar
chart showing line wavelength, and a Smith Chart.  TLW let's you design a
matching network with the ability to try different network types.
Sometimes, I'll start a problem in TLD then finish it in TLW.   Usage of all
three programs is free.

Paul, W9AC