[Amps] Multi-tube vs Single or Dual-tube amps?

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Tue Jan 20 17:05:12 EST 2015

On 1/20/2015 7:31 AM, Peter Voelpel wrote:
> No to all.

There are many things we can do, and in the time of the commercial multi
tube amps things like IM products were ignored.  Many thing worked in
spite of ignoring good practice.  I ran grid drive with a resistive load
to provide driving voltage to a   6C21 on 75 and 40 in 62 or 63.  It was
only years later that I found that when I was on 40, the band was
useless for anyone else in town. At the time, no one ever said anything
including the ham who lived just 5 houses down on the other side of the
street. If I was on, they'd just go to another band.   These amps may
even sound good on frequency, but the odds are that without careful
balancing, or selection, the IM products will be pretty bad and quite
noticeable off frequency. Been there, done that, and have the
testimonials (which are not complementary)  to prove it<LOL>  At the
time I thought the amp worked quite well.  It was only after changing to
a pair of 813s and learned a bit more about amp design that I found out
how bad the 6C21 had been.

Fixed resistors will provide negative feedback and indirectly reduce the
problems of mis-matched tubes, but did you have the IM checked? As I
understand, the sweep tubes were not that great for IM to begin with,
but Carl and others are likely to know more about that. Often, as in my
case, no one would complain back in those days unless you got on a net
frequency, often when the net was not on the air.  The 3.895 group had
their protectors even back then<:-))

6KD6s and other sweep tubes are getting scarce and expensive. E-Bay
shows NOS 6KD6s for $20 to ridiculous, but the average appeared to be
around $30.  I need 6L6s for my guitar amp, but the audio phools have
driven the price up to the point where repairing the Super Twin Reverb
(195 W of music power with 6, 6L6s) is no longer worth the price of the
tubes.

I can purchase a good, new SS concert amp for only a little more.
However, until I get my left hand and arm working again, I'm not even
considering that.  Right now I've only reached the point where I can
hold the neck of the electric, let alone the acoustic.  I'm unable to
fret the strings on the electric, so I know the acoustic would be a lost
cause.

6146s (A & B) are pretty much the same.  Guess I shouldn't have given
the batch of 6146As away<:-))  But they went to local hams who could use
them.

73

Roger (K8RI)