[Amps] What tube?

Gerald Williamson via Amps amps at contesting.com
Thu Jan 29 12:36:35 EST 2015

Manfred, you can be sure that tube life is adversely affected by frequent
on/off cycles of the filament. One of the current tube manufacturers (Burle
I  think) has a paper on his website that suggests that one on/off cycle of
the  filament power is roughly equivalent to reducing tube life by 60 hours.
If you  expect say 18000 hours, the 300 on/off cycles pretty well uses that
up.

This was for a larger transmitting tube so perhaps the 60 hour figure is
not accurate for a 3-500Z or similar but the principle applies.

I use a TH347 tube in a 1296MHz homebrew cavity amplifier. This tube is
rated for 34A filament current and the manufacturer specifies a maximum turn
on  current of 2X or 68A for the first AC cycle. Considering that the cold
filament  resistance can be as low as 10% of the hot resistance you can see
the need for a  current limiting circuit.

After loosing a couple of tubes due to open filament caused by frequent
on/off filament cycles I became very interested in how to protect my tubes
during turn on. Now the filament is turned on with surge limiters in the
primary  switched in three steps to limit the current to about 35A maximum. It
takes  about two minutes to reach the full 6vac operating voltage.

So, it is no longer "instant on" but the tube is fully protected.

I don't know how to apply this to a smaller tube like a 3-500Z but I see no
 way that the principle in invalid.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 1/29/2015 8:58:57 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,