[Amps] Topband: Elimination of Treadmill RFI on 160 meters

Jim Garland 4cx250b at miamioh.edu
Sat Jan 31 09:58:39 EST 2015

I'm not disagreeing with anything you said, Jim, and I don't believe Tom is
either. We're just making the point that a common mode choke's effectiveness
in blocking common mode currents depends on the impedance to GROUND of the
termination of the conductors. I used a parallel line in my example merely
to illustrate the point, since current flow in e.g., coax cable. is more
complicated. Obviously a parallel line not terminated in anything will have
no common mode current because there's no place for the current to go.
Introducing choke coupling and stray capacitance, Q, resonances, etc., into
the discussion, while obviously important in real life, tend to obscure the
basics.
Jim W8ZR

The