[Amps] Re-imagining the 30S-1

Martin Sole (HS0ZED) martin at hs0zed.com
Sun Jul 12 08:18:58 EDT 2015

Well  not quite but...

I've got a bit of a basket case 30S-1. Much of the power supply iron may
well be junk. Sat submerged in flood water for well over a month and
that was a few years back.
Getting toward thinking about reworking it I'm wondering if I can
improve things a bit. Not in terms of what it was but what it might be.
So if you were rebuilding such a plate supply would you still do it the
same way, centre tapped trafo, tube rectifiers, resonant choke filter,
big bleeders? Or is a more modern approach, single secondary winding,
bridge rectifier and stack of electrolytics more the way to go?
Though there's quite a bit of interlocking and protection in the way the
power supply is arranged it all seems fairly straightforward.

Martin, HS0ZED