[Amps] HV transformer and Variac

Ron Youvan ka4inm at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 10:07:14 EDT 2015

   On 07/24/2015 12:12 AM, Ros wrote:

> Semantic, Gary.  My e.e. school said it is not a transformer in the
> classic sense -"trans" as in transforming one voltage/current ratio into
> another with the added benefit of isolation which the autoformer does
> not provide.  The losses go up simply due to the fact that there is a
> greater potential difference.

   This sounds a lot like you are saying an autotransformer does not act
like a standard transformer with respect to the voltage/current ratio.
   This sounds a lot like you are saying a five Ampere autotransformer
adjusted for an output of five Volts at five Amperes of will draw five
Amperes (or even as much a one Ampere) at 120 Volts from the "mains."
I know that this is not true.
--
   Ron  KA4INM - Youvan's corollary:
                 Every action results in unwanted side effects.