[Amps] HV transformer and Variac

Larry Benko xxw0qe at comcast.net
Fri Jul 24 14:38:16 EDT 2015

Gerald,

I just saw your post and Ron's comments are in line with what I believe
happens.  We know for a fact that a turn or 2 are connected together by
the wiper.  If that was not the case there would be dead spots as you
rotated the variac voltage control.  If we assume the variac has 120VAC
across about 200 turns there are 0.6V per turn and if you short out 2
turns that is only 1.2V.  If the carbon brushes represent .3 ohm the
"shorted turn(s)" current is 4A or a power of about 4.8W.  This current
is localized and the heat will spread out due to the copper wire and the
coil.  I just took a 10A open frame variac and powered it up, set the
tap to about 50%, and put NO load on the output.  In about 10 minutes
the variac was powered off and the tap point area was slightly warm
while far away from the tap point the turns were cooler.  It appears
reasonable that the tap is a "partially shorted turn(s)" with a tradeoff
between variac output impedance and temperature rise.

Larry, W0QE