[Amps] Time to ask for help.

TexasRF at aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Sat Jul 25 17:54:31 EDT 2015

Hi Roger, a couple of thoughts come to mind. The 400 mA idle current is
problematic. This would not cause an oscillation but it allows the tubes to
operate pretty much at maximum gain and that can make the taming process more
 difficult. In addition, the plate dissipation rating is being exceeded
before  there is even any rf drive applied. There may be thermal run away if
the screen  voltage is not stiff enough. The negative screen current will try
to charge the  screen voltage upward and depending on the screen voltage
source impedance can  rise as high as the plate voltage.

Under these conditions the tube gain is way greater than that  expected.

The purpose of neutralization is to purposely create a feedback path from
plate to grid that is of opposite phase in respect to the normal internal
grid  to plate feedback path. In addition, the amplitude is supposed to be
such that  the internal feedback path is effectively canceled.

You have the perfect test equipment to make the test and adjustment. This
is not related to any parasitic suppression as that is a separate issue.
While I  don't have direct experience with this aspect of using a 4CX250, I
have tested  other larger tetrode tube amplifiers. They showed about 40 dB
input to output  isolation when an rf signal was connected to the input and
measured at the  output. Also, as a check. the signal can also be applied to the
output and  measured at the input. Of course this is done with the
amplifier completely cold  and at the expected operating frequency.

I would expect the neutralization null to be fairly narrow band but that
will depend on the degree of neutralization needed to make the null  happen.

Once you get to this point, you can then start looking at possible
parasitic oscillation issues. The 4CX250 family of tubes are quite small
physically so it would seem that they would be a lot less prone to parasitics  than a
larger glass tube that inherently has more inductance in the  internals.

Actually, I am thinking your root problem is more likely due to a run away
issue as discussed above.

The idea of swamping the grid is a valid method of reducing the gain but if
 that does not help, that again points to the run away scenario.

Please let us know how you make out.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 7/25/2015 3:20:45 P.M. Central Daylight Time,