[Amps] Follow-up...re: Time to ask for help.

Vic Rosenthal 4X6GP/K2VCO k2vco.vic at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 10:49:12 EDT 2015

OK, it has a PI input. I suspect there was originally a swamping
resistor from grid to ground and the PI circuit is intended as a
low-pass filter matching device to compensate for the grid-cathode
capacitance. I used a similar circuit in my 4CX1K amp.

The idea is that the grid-ground capacity adds to the output capacitor
of the PI circuit. This allows the input circuit to operate over a wide
frequency range, as long as it is below the cutoff frequency of the
filter. But you need the swamping resistor.

Is there any indication that a large non-inductive resistor was removed?

The neutralizing capacitor should not be where you have it. In that
position it is an "un-neutralizing capacitor" and will increase the
tendency to oscillate! Take it out.

My previous advice was based on my assumption that the input tank
circuit was a parallel-tuned circuit. The PI doesn't lend itself to
bridge neutralization as I suggested. But if you had a 50 ohm swamping
resistor, it would probably be stable without neutralization.

73,
Vic, 4X6GP/K2VCO
Rehovot, Israel
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/