[Amps] HV transformer and Variac

Doug Ronald doug at dougronald.com
Wed Jul 29 17:15:42 EDT 2015

The electrical resistivity of carbon brushes is highly anisotropic, due to
the orientation of the graphite particles during compression. Electrical
resistivity anisotropy (cross-plane/in-plane) can vary from a low of 6 for
KS primary synthetic graphite up around 14 for natural graphite (BE grade).
The variable autotransformer has its brush oriented so the axial conduction
is the lower resistance orientation. The contact resistance is also
non-linear, with resistance decreasing at higher current densities. From
what I read, this is a due to impurities in the brush material itself,
although there may be other causes I didn't investigate...

-Doug W6DSR