[Amps] Fan for SB220

Jim Garland 4cx250b at miamioh.edu
Mon Jun 8 20:19:17 EDT 2015

Sorry Adrian, but I respectfully disagree with your perceived "flaw" in my
reasoning. (When did I post that, anyway? Don't remember doing it!) A
"blackbody" (one word) is a well-understood physics concept, and is defined
as an object which absorbs radiation at all wavelengths. Obviously, no real
material satisfies that theoretical criterion exactly (with the possible
exception black holes) but most materials come pretty close. Transparent
glass, for instance, which absorbs very little radiation in the visible
spectrum (but may do so in the infrared or UV spectrum), when it gets hot
enough (red hot, white hot, etc.)  will radiate like crazy.  Objects, like
graphite, which appear black, are absorbing visible light. They reradiate
the absorbed energy in the form of infrared radiation, which we can't see.
There's a famous and well-verified law of physics known as the
Stefan-Boltzmann law, which says that the power radiated by a hot object
varies as the fourth power of its temperature. Even the universe itself
satisfies the law of "blackbody radiation), even though the background
temperature of the universe is only four degrees Kelvin. None of this is to
discount the importance of convective cooling, or it's applicability in
real-life sitiuations, but that's a separate process and always exists in
parallel with radiative cooling. No matter how hot or cold something is,
it's always radiating its energy.

73,

Jim W8ZR

  _____