[Amps] more - oil bath GS-35b

Bill Turner dezrat at outlook.com
Tue Mar 31 22:49:59 EDT 2015

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 17:20:50 +1300, Gary and Steve wrote:

>> You do not need to slow the flow down in order to pick up heat. The faster
>> the flow the more heat will be transferred.
>
>Correct!  The faster the oil flow in the tube cooler, the better the
>cooling.
>
>But not so for the radiator.  The oil must slow down and be in the
>radiator for a finite time for the heat to be transferred from the oil
>to the air.

REPLY:

"But not so for the radiator."?

There seems to be something wrong with the logic here. Heat transfer
doesn't care whether it goes from the tube to the oil or from the oil
to the radiator, does it? By your logic, if you slow the oil through
the radiator down to very, very slow the heat transfer will be better.
But then the tube will overheat and burn up.

Likewise, if you slow down the oil past the tube, the heat transfer
will be maximum, but again the tube will overheat and burn up.

Can't both be right. I think faster is better for both tube and
radiator.

Any heat transfer engineers out there?

73, Bill W6WRT