[Amps] Time for New Power Meter

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Mon May 4 04:18:34 EDT 2015

On 5/4/2015 2:53 AM, Bill Turner wrote:
> ------------ ORIGINAL MESSAGE ------------(may be snipped)
>
> On Mon, 04 May 2015 02:24:56 -0400, K8RI wrote:
>
>> Measuring the temperature rise in a known quantity of water with a known
>> heat loss is limited by the system's heat loss.  Water is straight
>> forward as an instrument as 1 calorie will raise the temperature of 1cc
>> or gram of water 1 deg C.  (I'd have to look up the number of joules
>> required)      You can graph the heat rise vs time, and or reach
>> equilibrium at a given heat loss (the temp of a given volume of cooling
>> water at a given rate.  Then you are limited by how accurately you can
>> measure the flow and temp.
> REPLY:
>
> That method will work but for our purposes it's probably overkill.
Absolutely.
Way overkill and too much work for what you get.

>    An
> easier and quicker way is to measure the hear rise with the unknown RF
> and again with known DC or low frequency AC. When you get the heat
> rise the same, you have your answer.
>
> Technique is important, mainly in keeping the environmental conditions
> the same between tests. Same room temp, same room air circulation,
> etc. You don't even need a particularly accurate thermometer, just as
> long as it is repeatable, which most are.

IOW eliminate all the variable that are not necessary and identify the
unknowns.
Settle for repeatability where absolutes are not relevant.  Don't
measure to 3 decimal places when one significant digit is sufficient.
"Simplify"!  As in math substitutions may work better and be easier to
obtain than measuring the specific unknown.

73

Roger (K8RI)