[Amps] Time for New Power Meter

Steve Wright stevewrightnz at gmail.com
Mon May 4 15:41:58 EDT 2015

On 04/05/15 23:48, amps-request at contesting.com wrote:
> Some amateurs seem to think that a given increase in their wattmeter
> deflection --or a corresponding decrease in their reflected power--
> corresponds to an equal S-meter increase on the other end of the QSO.
>
> It just doesn't work that way.

The same people run lots of processor and ALC breaching its meter
scale.  We don't spend much time talking with them, and if they join our
group we give them the arse real quick.  It's some work to be verrry
polite to everyone ALL the time, and not everyone is interested in a
scathing review of their transmit audio, but these people make it
difficult not to.

I call them "needle swingers" - it fixes their ego to get on the air and
do a little needle bending - their own.  The quicker they learn their
lesson they better off they will be.

I LOVE needle bending!  About once every two weeks I get a "holy shit"
email from someone, and some jealous (and sometimes rude) remark, and I
have a good video collection of *other* peoples s-meters completely off
the end of the scale.  It's very satisfying - no doubt in the ego
department there.  All done with zero ALC on the meter, and no I don't
even OWN a wattmeter.

Hey, stoke up the fire for that DX contact fur shurrrr, but turn the
damn audio down afterwards FFS.

Maybe if they had a PEP meter they would feel better.

Steve