[Amps] SPE 2K RTTY Duty Cycle

qrv at kd4e.com qrv at kd4e.com
Mon May 18 12:57:38 EDT 2015

PEP is not the same thing as key-down RTTY by a long shot.

How many switches, feedlines, and antennas, external to the
amp can survive 1500w carrier for long?

Especially heating at imperfect and/or marginal contacts
and connections?

I'm seeing estimates of 5 seconds, 10 seconds, and 15 seconds
of 1500w output in RTTY continuous-duty mode - but unlimited
at 1KW.

Most vendors will be cautious about running-at-the-edge as
they know that some Hams will push that margin then blame
them when something breaks.

Question:
Is RTTY so inefficient that one really needs 1500w output?

There are many other keyboard-keyboard digi modes that can
hold a qso under poor conditions at 30-50w.

Just wondering ...

David KD4E

--

*David* KD4E
ARES-EC Bulloch County, Nevils, Georgia USA

Safe & Secure Search Engine: duckduckgo.com