[Amps] SPE 2K RTTY Duty Cycle

Kevin Stover kevin.stover at mediacombb.net
Fri May 22 18:21:23 EDT 2015

On Fri, 22 May 2015 09:20:43 -0700
"Jim Thomson" <jim.thom at telus.net> wrote:

> transceivers  that will meet the fcc  imd spec.....yet make pure junk for the amateur radio versions.   But, if you look at the 12 vdc marine gear, like the typ 2-30 mhz types,  you will see that the microphone is hardwired into the radio.

**Easy answer, type acceptance. The marine rigs are type accepted and Ham rigs aren't. Ham rigs only have to meet the -43 and -60 dB harmonic test. There is no FCC reuqirement for IM3 testing of Ham transceivers.

> ##  If you want a triode tube amp that has superb imd, is instant on, and uses a rebuildable tube, the 3CX-3000A7 is the real ticket.   IMD3 = –59db pep.  That’s –53 db  below one tone of a 2 tone signal.  IMO, IMD referenced to  pep
> is valid.

**I'm not trying to be a smartass but none of the commercial manu's of amps people buy have used that tube since the Henry 8K if I'm not mistaken. Until the manu's start using tubes like that it won't change. Especiallly since new chinese 8877's are ~ $650.

R. Kevin Stover
AC0H