[Amps] SPE 2K RTTY Duty Cycle

Kevin Stover kevin.stover at mediacombb.net
Sat May 23 19:06:33 EDT 2015

There is a receiver biasat the cost of terrible transmit performance. Whe is the last time the ARRL called oput a manufacturer for producing a transmitter that can't get -30dB IM3? I don't ever recal it happening.

The seminal moment for me was several years ago when I read the Yaesu FT-450 review. To be kind it was pathetic, if I recall correctly -27dB IM3 and a CW keying wave form with a leading edge spike the size of manhattan.

Not a word from the ARRL lab about the crap numbers and key clicks. It was in effect a 3 page advertisement for Yaesu. I personally know two people who bought one based soley on price.

My K3 has possiblly the best receiver ever built for Ham Radio. MDS a good 10 -12dB lower than the local noise floor and great dynamic range. It just got better with a new synthesizer design. With all that going for it the transmitter is worse than my 40 year old Kenwood TS-520.

You are right. The people who buy radios need to speak with their wallets. If the FCC won't refulate it and manu's won't fix it because it's the right thing to do that's all that's left.

On Sat, 23 May 2015 17:43:44 -0400