[Amps] Question about SPE 1.3K-FA amplifier

Peter Peter
Mon Nov 9 02:17:48 EST 2015

Den 08-11-2015 kl. 08:21 skrev Martin Sole:
> A guess, not necessarily an educated one, its a single physical device
> but in fact a "gemini" pair with the two devices on a single die and
> in a single package.

Thats a very good guess, in fact that's exactly what it is...

> On 07/11/2015 06:25, Bill Turner wrote:
>> I notice the SPE 1.3K-FA amplifier is using a single LDMOS transistor
>> to achieve a peak of about 1500 watts output. I am wondering how they
>> do this and stay linear over the full 360 degree RF cycle. Normally
>> with a single-ended amplifier you have to either use a resonant tank
>> circuit to provide the "flywheel" effect, or run it class A. Solid
>> state amps normally use two devices in push pull but this amp does it
>> with only one.
>>
>> Since SPE apparently does not provide schematics or service manuals, I
>> am left curious as to how they achieve linearity.
>>
>> Website: http://www.spetlc.com/en/products/expert-13k-fa-uk.html
>>
>> Does anyone know?
>>
>> Educated guesses welcome.
>>
>> 73, Bill W6WRT

Vy 73 de OZ1PIF/5Q2M, Peter

** If it sounds too good to be true --  **
** it is!                               **
** If it sounds about right -- make     **
** sure you can afford to be wrong!     **
**                                      **
**           -- Robert Heinlein:        **
**           "Time enough for love"     **
email: peter(no-spam filler)@frenning.dk
http://www.frenning.dk/oz1pif.htm
Ph. +45 4619 3239/ +45 2332 9464
Snailmail: