[Amps] question about SPE 1.3K FA amp

amsctalx at comcast.net amsctalx at comcast.net
Thu Nov 12 11:18:37 EST 2015

Quadras aren't bullet-proof; the RF deck seems to be rather solid but the control circuitry is another topic entirely. I don't have the schematic at hand, but the Quadra has an unregulated DC "sub-supply" ahead of the main logic board to provide Yaesu transceiver-controlled power switching. This supply uses "fuse resistors" to provide protection and drop the voltage to the logic board, and there is a tendency for these to open in the presence of relatively mild transients. This requires opening the amp up to the core and replacing devices that are rapidly becoming obsolete. It takes a rather substantial line conditioner ahead of an amp to help prevent this from happening on a routine basis. The Quadra tuners, which I realize are not the primary reason for buying the amp, struggles to make matches within the advertised impedance range.

They're great amps, but hardly perfect and that's why I'm one of the people that replaced them with Experts.

73,

Mike - N8MSA