[Amps] SPE 1.3K-FA and FTDX-5KMP

Manfred Mornhinweg manfred at ludens.cl
Sat Nov 21 19:07:04 EST 2015

>> Cool, Compact, Quiet: choose any TWO.
>>
>> 73 from Ian GM3SEK
>>

> REPLY:
>
> Cool, compact, headphones.
>
> 73, Bill W6WRT

And my choice would be: High efficiency amplifier. Cool, compact, AND quiet.
Plus a lower power consumption. More complex, though, but I'm willing to accept
that.

Meanwhile my alternative choice (project begun a few years ago, currently
shelved) is a water-cooled amplifier, with a 20 liter water tank under the
operating desk. Cool, compact (at least on the desk, while under the desk I have
lots of space), almost totally silent (water pump is immersed in the water), and
simple. Not so practical for contesters or other long haul operators though,
because they would need to replace the water every few hours, or use a rather
large tank.

Each choice has some downsides, but we do have choices. At least in theory.

Manfred