[Amps] Alpha 76 question

Manfred Mornhinweg manfred at ludens.cl
Mon Nov 23 19:41:41 EST 2015

Ted,

 > My Alpha 76 periodically "snaps" loudly (arcs?) when idling...maybe
 > every 20-30 minutes.  Any ideas what this may be?

I don't know anything specific about that Alpha, but I have seen this kind of
arcing at regular intervals when there is a simple power supply that has no
bleeder and no load on it. There are very often lots of very narrow but tall
spikes riding on the power line. When there is no load at all on a power supply,
these will slowly charge the filter capacitor to such an overvoltage that
something arcs.

So I would suggest to check all bleeder resistors, first of all.

Manfred