[Amps] Alpha 76 question

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Sat Nov 28 18:49:08 EST 2015

Adding to the list of possibilities, I had two similar problems in my Alpha 70/77 amps that were traced to two different causes.

In the first case, the silicon HV wiring failed.  I've never been impressed with the manner in which the HV cabling is attached to the aluminum side walls in Alpha amps.  Nylon ty-wraps are over tightened, compressing the cable to a distance less than the radius of the silicon jacket to the chassis side wall.  In time, I believe ty-wrap abrasion causes the silicon to break down.

In the second instance, a plastic E.F. Johnson feed-through insulator was arcing.  The feed-through passes HV in a PA-70V amp between the PS and RF compartments.  The fix involved replacement with a glazed-ceramic beehive type.

Both fixes were applied around 1998 and the arcing problems have not reappeared since then.

Paul, W9AC

Sent from my iPhone6