[Amps] Filament monitoring - LOOKING FOR ELMER

Chris Miller c_miller_1 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 7 22:49:24 EDT 2016

Hey there,

Ok, before we go exploring the circuitry a necessary statement, this
amplifier contains voltages that will kill you dead if you put yourself in
contact with them.  If you do not have the experience with these multi kilo
volt beasts main power supply, the bias voltages or even the mains AC that
runs around inside, find a local ham with more experience to help you,
preferably in the same room.  Or bring it to someone who will do the service
for you.  We have lost too many people to the electricity monster.  And
believe me you get to watch all the way and feel every second of the pain
that you can not escape from.

Ok now that I am done doing the 'DANGER Will Robinson' thing.

I read through what you had for a description and I think you are pretty on
target with your understanding.  But, so that we are both on the same page,
I will walk through it, but I will skip over the maths for the moment.

I took a quick look at the schematic and the 0.3 ohm is in series with the
tube filaments.  This does a two fold action, It gives a little limiting
action on the inrush current on power on to help out the tubes from shock
stress and allows a means of sampling the current of course, mostly the
latter.   That way, they can get a proportional sample of the current, the
voltage drop on the 0.3 ohm resistor.  The sense circuitry in parallel with
the resistor.  They take the signal from that resistor, which is AC, and
rectify the the signal to give a dc voltage for the comparator to use, D19
and D20 and associated capacitors.  Then U8A  compares that to the fixed
value in the other input and flip states from -15 to 15 volts at the
appropriate value.  Then, the circuitry on the output of the op amp, D25 and
D24 converts that signal to a TTL level signal for the logic board to use.
Basically, U8A and the voltage divider of R23 and R22 are where the decision
of good current is made.  After that is is just an on and off signal.

Now, with your local elmer ham to help you ensure that you don't get
yourself in trouble, and with the power disconnected and the supplies
confirmed discharged (TWICE) measure the loop resistance of the circuit from
J1 pin 1 and 2 with the transformer unplugged, we will be looking at a very
low value here.  You will be watching for a shift in the value for lower if
you find a poor connection.  Try all the simple actions like reseating the
connectors J7 on the LVPS and J3 on the tube deck to clean the connections
of any possible oxide which would add additional resistance to the 0.3 ohm
part of the power to the tube sense circuit and the sense line.  Also the
tubes could benefit from a reseat to clean the tube connections which would
increase the current a little.  While the tubes are out, check the value of
the sense resistor R7 and see if it is still within the 0.3 ohm 1% limits,
0.303 to 0.297 ohms.  Being that it is sinking a fair amount of heat, it may
have drifted.  If that resistor is good, then the sense circuit could be
giving false loss of current indications, active device most likely but one
should scope or multimeter the signal voltage values to isolate the
intermittent component, however to see these signals this would be a LIVE
test and fraught with risk.  Robby the robot would be twirling his arms by
this point.

Ok, I will stop.  I must be getting old, you may not even know the original
Forbidden Planet series, even in rerun.  Mind you there was the movie
remake.....

Chris VE3CEA