[Amps] Control transformers

TexasRF at aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Sat Apr 9 08:17:22 EDT 2016

Jeff, I have not done that but conceptually it should work well. If you use
 two of the 3kva transformers, one would expect to generate enough d.c. to
supply  a 6 KW load.

The voltage doubler will charge the filter C to 2.8 times the rms voltage
so two of the 600v units would have a no load voltage of 3394v and full load
 maybe 3100v or so.At 6 KW, the current could be upwards of 1.7 amps.

There are other considerations such as the much higher peak currents caused
 by a C only filter that would tend to reduce the current capability
somewhat to  prevent over heating the transformers. Fortunately the copper losses
are related  to current squared so a modest reduction in current equates to
a large reduction  in heating.

You would wise to find a way to test the insulation break down between
windings and the core. Perhaps you could build or borrow a break down tester.
They are very easy to build based on an old microwave oven transformer.

For a very rough test, you could connect a 100w incandescent light bulb in
series with the 120 or 240v primary and connect the 600v windings in
series. One  end of the 1200v can be connected to the core and that would subject
the other  end of the 1200v winding to about 1700v peak. If the 120v
windings were  connected in parallel and 240v applied, the secondary voltage would
then be  about 3400v peak. You can't run it this way but fine for a brief
test. The light  bulb will limit the current flow in case there is a
breakdown. It will also give  a relative indication of the amount of leakage in the
transformer. One would  expect only a dim glow if all is well. Also, it would
be a good idea to connect  the two transformer cores together and to ground
(or neutral) for the brief  test. Be careful as bad stuff can happen!

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 4/8/2016 11:16:07 P.M. Central Daylight Time,