[Amps] AL-82 VS Acom 1000

Morgan Bailey, II mcb2179 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 12:34:38 EDT 2016

Hello everyone

I have a dilemma on my hands.  I currently have the opportunity to purchase
a pre-mfj AL-82 with a Dahl transformer in pristine condition for a very
low price.  I also have been looking at the ACOM line and I like the 1000.
Other than the fact that there is an output difference between the amps, is
the extra money for the Acom worth it?  The majority of my operating is cw
contesting, and I will be driving the amp with a K3.  I like the fact that
the Acom is QSK capable and is very quiet, but that alone isn't enough
justification for me to spend $1200+ over the cost of the AL-82.  One of
the attractive things about the AL-82 is that it is simple enough that I
know I can repair almost anything that were to happen to it, and the tubes
are cheap.  This is not the case with the Acom.  Overall I really like Acom
better, but there is such a large price difference between the two amps
that I'm having trouble deciding whether the extra money is worth it for
the Acom.

Thoughts?

73, Morgan, NS0R.