[Amps] Capacitor and Alpha 374 question

Ted K8AQM1629T at comcast.net
Fri Aug 19 13:05:20 EDT 2016

     I have a three tube Alpha 374, it has an oil-filled capacitor rated
at 40pf/5KV.  After running awhile in cw an AC hum occurs on my signal.
I am thinking that after heating up this old oil-filled capacitor may be
going bad and breaking down.  It seems impossible to find another such
oil-filled capacitor so I bought a capacitor replacement kit from "Tube
Meister."  The add says it is for Alpha/76/78/374.  I do have two other
Alpha 374A amplifiers and the replacement kits are great.

     My question is since there are just two leads from the oil-filled
capacitor can I just simply connect the 6 210pf/450 volt capacitors in
series and run the leads to where the oil-filled capacitor connected?
Am I missing some important step here?  I'd rather not blow the 374 up!
Perhaps even someone might suggest where one finds an oil-filled
40pf/5kv capacitor?

     Thanks for any help/suggestions.

73,

Ted K8AQM