[Amps] Not just you... The cost of amplifiers

Catherine James catherine.james at att.net
Sat Dec 3 09:12:05 EST 2016

"Maybe its just me, but I have problems wrapping my head around
spending $7995.00  ( $10,313.55  in cdn dollars)...on any amplifier"

It's not just you. I have trouble picturing myself spending more than, oh, call it $3k on an amp, and even that would be a real stretch. Better to surrender the money on multiple amps to provide backups and extra capabilities.

I have 3 amps:. an AL-811H bought new, an SB-220 bought at a hamfest and repaired, and a 2-meter TE Systems 160 watt amp. Probably have a total of $2k invested on all three combined. ( Technically I have a fourth, a QRP-to-35-watts HFPacker, but that's pretty specialized. It lets my K1 be heard.)

I have sacrificed frequency agility to save $$$. To me it's a good trade-off.

I've spent quite a bit of money on ham radio over 20+ years, but never too much on any one thing.

73,
Cathy
N5WVR