[Amps] Alpha 9500 vs. Acom 2000A questions

RLVZ at aol.com RLVZ at aol.com
Sat Dec 3 14:44:23 EST 2016

Hi Guys,

I plan to purchase a tube-type Auto-tune amp and am most  interested in an
Alpha 9500 or an Acom 2000A.  I'd prefer  solid-state, but I want a 1.5kw
continuous duty rating at a reasonable price so  that rules out solid-state
amps for the time being.  ($10,500 is too  expensive)

I have several questions before  making the decision and  your thoughts
would be greatly appreciated.  Before I proceed with the  questions, I'd like
to share that I'm a serious CW & RTTY contester and am  looking for
reliability and stability at 1.5kw output all weekend long.   Also, if I purchase the
Acom 2000A I'll be sure to add the Optional Fan as  I've heard they
overheat on heavy RTTY usage without one.

Here's my questions:

1) Several hams report the 9500 isn't always reliable at  selecting the
correct antenna during band changes.  Has that  issue been resolved?

2) 2000A, when the transformer is removed, there are 3 small  fuses located
on the center wall and near the  bottom chassis.  Two of them are 2-amp
fuses and the other is a 100  ma. fuse.  Those fuses will be impossible to see,
test, or replace without  removing the top cover and transformer.  (major
time killer to remove  the transformer during a contest)  Have you ever had
any of those 3  fuses blow?

3) Will both amps hold up about the same with heavy use and in a salt  air
environment?

4) Both manuals say the "brightness of the LED displays can be turned
down".  I have extreme eye sensitivity to bright flashing  lights, can the LED
display level be turned way down so the lights are  barely visable on both
amps?

5) Which amp is easier to get serviced these days?  Are repair  costs about
the same?

6) Are the auto-tune features on  these amps reliable?

If you prefer, you can send your comments to me off-list at:
_K9OM at arrl.net_ (mailto:K9OM at arrl.net)

Thank You & 73,

Dick- K9OM