[Amps] Stock up on tubes?

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 13:31:34 EST 2016

> The same attitude was common when transceivers moved from tubes to
> solid state.

I misread this comment; I thought it meant the same attitude was
common when hams went from separates to transceivers.  I must
apologize for that error.  It's entirely possible that attitude
existed when hybrid transceivers gave way to all solid state--but it
was also true that the first all solid state transceivers like the
Heathkit SB104 were really unclean in terms of spectral purity so some
suspicion of all solid state gear  was warranted at first.

I freely confess to being biased--I love tubes and run nothing but
tube gear as much as possible.  In my opinion, every engineering
development in the realm of consumer ham gear has done nothing but
accelerate the slide into plug and play ignorance and the CB-ification
of ham radio.

73

Rob
K5UJ