[Amps] Alpha 9500 Autotune

David B. Ritchie dbritchie at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 16:17:58 EST 2016

I have a 9500 and I run it mostly with a Steppir DB36.  I leave Autotune ON
- all the time. Works fine - but yes - it does occasionally adjust - makes a
small clunking sound.  With a fixed impedance antenna it is not necessary to
use autotune because once it is set up it should not require adjustment.
Autotune works fine and I cannot imagine that the steppir motors are going
to wear out because they occasionally do what they are designed to do.
Steppir motors are used in all sorts of near 100% duty cycle environments
(like the DB36) - its multiphase electromagnets on lubricated bearings -
what could go wrong?  If mine twiddle a few times an hour that is a lot.  It
is also helpful when changing between the DB36 and the KT36 on the same band
because they do not have the exact same impedance on the same frequency.
You paid a lot of money for a really clever piece of equipment - it would be
a shame to convince yourself not to use it.  In any event - these are the
same steppir motors that are responsible for changing the Tune and Load when
you change band segments and bands - so they are going to get a workout no
matter what you do.

David W6DR

---