[Amps] S-units

Catherine James catherine.james at att.net
Thu Dec 8 07:02:18 EST 2016

Could the modern ham community please stop pretending that 1 S-unit = 6 db?

It may have been true decades ago, but it is far from true in the large majority of modem ham transceivers.

When I installed my hexbeam, I saw about 1 - 2 S-units improvement on my TS-590S. This antenna is well-known to deliver about 3-4 db.

Let's talk db, a unit that is clearly defined and when which everyone agrees on the definition. S-units are just for a casual meter check during QSOs.

73,
Cathy
N5WVR