[Amps] Alpha fault 17

k2cb at comcast.net k2cb at comcast.net
Fri Dec 9 13:00:38 EST 2016

Good points, Dick.  I seem to recall a similar thought when I first inspected the board. At first glance, I thought there was no issue there.  Only once I removed the coil and scraped away the foam did I see the damage (carbon) on the circuit board itself.   It seems to want to arc near the one end to the left of the amp, where there is a mounting screw close by, and the associated ground plane.
I also had damage to the winding wire itself, about 1/4" from the board. The end of the wire near the board was brittle, and broke as I handled it. I was able to repair the winding lead without having to rewind the entire coil, but if it was any further into the torroid, I would have had to rewind the entire coil.

While I don't recommend it, you could defeat the safety interlocks, ramp the amp up in rf power, and closely watch the area to see if it arcs when the fault occurs.

A pen cap slid over the HV shorting terminal works well as a temporary defeat.

Eric
K2CB