[Amps] Idiosyncratic opinion on amp choices

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Dec 16 02:03:57 EST 2016

The Ten Tec Titan is getting a bit long in the tooth, but it's a good
design, built with good components, and except for special stuff like
band switches and the power transformer, almost everything in it is easy
to find replacements for. It's not automatic anything, but it's happy
working into almost any antenna that isn't broken and the signal it puts
out is as clean as what you drive it with.

The little Elecraft KPA500 is very nice, also clean, but it needs to see
a matched load, and it's heavy. I like it for portable setups, like
county expeditions for state QSO parties.

The ACOM 1010 is easy enough to tune, but it isn't as clean as I would
like. I sold the one I had.

73, Jim K9YC